From the days of the goldsmith to world renowned jeweller
The origins of Bulgari date back to the Greek goldsmith Sotirios Voulgaris who opened up his first workshop in his hometown during the mid 19th century. Interestingly, the original shop still stands to this day. In 1877, Voulgaris ventured to Corfu, Naples, and later to Rome – including the area of Via Sistina – where he presented his jewellery creations to jewellery and antique shops.
Voulgaris had two sons, Costantino and Giorgio, who continually supported him through his endeavours. In 1932, Costantino and Giorgio took over the management of their father’s company. Two years later, Voulgaris passes away, leaving behind the family business to his sons. The two brothers continued to build up their father’s business, which now specialised in jewellery. They opened up a shop branch in the famous Via Condotti region in Rome. With a popular Art Deco-inspired style, Bulgari creations gathered a larger and larger audience and eventually went on to adorn the beautiful and the famous.